Bone Density, Etc. in Astronauts
I had this thought that astronauts are maybe simply underfed. Maybe it's not just zero G damaging them.
Space agencies could review atypicalcysticfibrosis.blogspot.com, formularyoflife.blogspot.com and Nutrientdense.blogspot.com and revisit space nutrition guidelines.
See if you can help astronauts recover from bone loss etc via aggressive nutrition and investigate the possibility of mitigating bone density loss nutritionally.
Hormones play a role in osteoporosis. Formularyoflife.blogspot.com is a food-based hrt sandbox.
Cholesterol has been listed as the starting point for every hormone I have researched so far: Progesterone, Vitamin D, estrogen and testosterone and whatever comes after progesterone but before estrogen or testosterone as the final step.
Nutrientdense.blogspot.com has a piece hypothesizing the obesity epidemic is rooted in soil depletion and the known steady decline in nutritional value of produce.
Re-examine your mental models for dietary fats and nutrition. Bone marrow is fatty and so far all the hormones I've researched are based on cholesterol which is so vilified the only articles on its dietary availability are all articles screaming "Don't eat these evil evil foods."
I would bet money your space foods are short on essential fats.
They are prisoners of your carefully architected diet for them. They aren't dropping by the Burger King drive through on the way home from work. And you aren't looking for flaws in our mental models for adequate nutrition and are instead blaming the problem entirely on microgravity, whatever the hell that means which I haven't found a straight answer for.
Interview all living astronauts and ask them what they craved and went to town on when they got back. See if you can infer what they are shorted on.
Comments